Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Broccoli Pesto Quinoa

I am pretty smitten with 101 Cookbooks. Mostly, though, I follow her baking recipes, because let me tell you, there is not a single site better for natural, whole grain baking. Heidi Swanson, I love your baked goods.

Anyway, so the other day, I decided to make her Double Broccoli Quinoa. I didn't have any cream,  I used pecorino romano instead of parmesan, and I don't really measure except when baking, but I have to say, her broccoli pesto is one of the best things I've made in ages, and is something I'm sure I'll be eating a lot of.

So, here's what I did:
2 medium garlic cloves
1/4 cup toasted almonds
1 thumb-sized rectangle of pecorino romano
pinch of salt
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T olive oil
2 T nonfat Greek yogurt
1.5 cups steamed broccoli

Throw the garlic, the almonds, and the cheese in the food processor until they are finely ground. Then put the rest of it in the food processor. Process until pesto-y. It'll be a bit thicker than basil pesto.

Anyway, I tossed this shizz with more steamed broccoli and cooked quinoa, and it was amazing. Amazeballs, if you want. I think the pesto would need to be thinner if you were using it with pasta, but with quinoa, it was perfect. Even if my picture is less than awesome.



No comments: